If you want to learn more about period waste and the steps you can take to have a more sustainable period, here's everything you need to know.
Period Waste Facts
- Tampons and pads are made up of cotton material. Cotton itself has a huge environmental impact, ultimately contributing to period waste. One single bud of cotton requires six pints of water in order to grow.
- Aside from cotton, the adhesives in most pads are materials to consider when looking at period waste. Pad adhesives contain environmentally harmful pollutants. These pollutants are often difficult to breakdown and can seep into air, water, and soil.
- As period products have evolved, many manufacturers have made efforts to lessen the harmful impact of tampons. While many tampon applicators are labeled as recyclable, they often cannot be recycled due to sanitary reasons.
- The average person will use up to 15,000 pads and tampons in their lifetime. When you think about it, all of those plastic applicators and packaging can add up pretty quickly.
- Being single-use products, it’s hard not to think about what happens to those used pads and tampons. Once these products are discarded and make their way to a landfill, they usually take 500 years to fully breakdown.
Reduce Your Period Waste With ONDRWEAR
A lot has changed since disposable period products came into the market. Today, there is a wide range of reusable and sustainable period products to choose from. A popular choice among those who are looking to reduce their period waste is leakproof underwear because of how easy they are to reuse. Period underwear is non-invasive, which makes them much more accessible than tampons or menstrual cups.
While there are many brands to choose from, you can’t go wrong with ONDRwear. ONDRwear is designed by a board-certified urologist and comes in a range of styles to fit your lifestyle. Each pair can hold up to 45mL of liquid! To put that in perspective, most individuals lose less than 80mL of blood throughout their entire period. With ONDRwear, you can have peace of mind that you’ll be dry no matter how heavy your flow is.
Another added element of sustainability is the plant-based absorbent liner in each pair of ONDRwear. Each liner contains 81% modal + 13% alginate fiber + 6% spandex. These materials combined help keep you odorless and give you maximum absorption. Plus, each pair of ONDRwear is made without any PFAs, which is a grouping of chemicals that is known to not break down, and even may have adverse health risks. ONDRwear is truly the leakproof underwear that is good for your body and the environment.
While we can’t help the fact that we have periods, we can make conscious decisions about the products we use during that time of the month! Take the time to educate yourself about the environmental impact your period products have. If you’re able to, commit to choosing more sustainable period products. Commit to using ONDRwear.